- Start your workout hydrated! Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, and about an hour before you start your training, drink a sport drink with quality electrolytes, such as PowerBar Perform.
- While riding or running, aim to take sips of your sport drink every 5 to 10 mins. In these temps, it's not uncommon for me to go through 40 oz of fluid per hour while riding. Don't forget your gels, and other nutritional needs that contain electrolytes!!
- Aim for early morning or late evening training. If possible avoid the hottest parts of the day.
- Wear sport clothing that is light colored to help reflect the sun. The black top may look cool, but at 100* plus temps, it won't feel cool.
- Have a bottle for water that you use to pour on yourself. If the water is cold, this will feel great! Aim for your upper thighs, head & neck. Maybe even a squirt in the face :)
- Try to pick routes that are shaded, or consider training indoors.
- Plan for your refueling! Bring a few dollars with you and stop at gas stations for cold beverages.
- While running, a light colored hat with a few ice cubes under feels amazing.
- Use sunscreen and sunglasses to protect yourself from the elements. Make sure it is designed for sporting activities--water/sweat proof.
- Once finished, recover with quality recovery drink such as PowerBar Restore, or good'ole chocolate milk. After that, focus on re-hydrating with water to replenish what you lost during training.
Have additional tips? Leave them in the comments!! Thanks